Sunday, September 28, 2008

pancake HAPPINESS


Need to impress an overnight house guest??? Or take that fundraising pancake feed to the gourmet level??? Here's the recipe for you!!!
My sis (Nat, the best chef in Kansas ) made these for me a few years ago. The recipe is titled "Best Ever Pancakes" and they really are. I add sliced bananas and crushed pecans or walnuts (whichever I have in the pantry).
I had to have these this morning. Of course, I got all the ingredients together (or what I thought to be all of the ingredients) started the mixing up and realized I didn't have any eggs! ?*!! @ Does that happen to any of you??? So my quick breakfast took a little longer because of the trip to get eggs. It's moments like these I wish I had a chicken coop in the back yard. Take a peek at the pic...it was worth the extra effort. Oh...it's a family of 7 at our house so I double the batch and keep the leftovers in the fridg. They make a great quick breakfast for the kiddo's. Nat shared this goodness with me and now I must share the goodness with you.....

I cook them in a large cast iron skillet (I don't have a cast iron griddle). The trick I've found with these is cook them slow on a low heat. It really keeps them fluffy, and keep the stirring to a minimum. These yummylicious cakes don't like a lot of stirring it pops the air bubbles that keep them light and fluffy. And need I say, use the real dealio syrup...ya know the kind that comes from Maple trees???
"Best Ever Pancakes"

1 3/4 cups flour

2 t. sugar

1 t. salt

1 1/2 t. baking soda

2 eggs well beaten

2 c. buttermilk *

2-4 T. melted butter

Sift flour before measuring, then re sift with sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Beat eggs, then mix with buttermilk. Combine the dry and liquid ingredients with a few quick strokes. Than add the melted butter. Mix ingredients well but with the least amount of strokes as possible. Batter will be lumpy. Bake on a hot griddle until browned on both sides.

YIELD: about 20 4inch cakes

*(I use Bob's Red Mill powdered. Just follow the directions on the back of the package)

Eat and enjoy!!!!!!


3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Mmmm...those look yummy! and I love your silverware!

erin said...

And they ARE yummy! Guaranteed to not disappoint! The silverware has been a fav I found at a discount houseware store in one of those outlet malls. I found the set over 9 years ago now. They have held up well! :)

Aura said...

Thanks for sharing - Buttermilk definitely enhances the batter. I have also used the Hungry Jack Complete Extra Light & Fluffy and instead of using water, I use the buttermilk (watered down a bit) and the pancakes turn out delicious. I like to add fresh blueberries or blackberries once the batter is put on the pan,

sew sew suck ur toe

knitlicious

in harmonee

reincarnated threads